When you run a store, you will eventually realise that there are just some products that sell better than others. For example, maybe you sell t-shirts and you notice that certain ones are trending worldwide while others aren’t. Maybe you notice that people are paying more for certain products and you decide that you will start promoting these products more heavily. Or maybe you notice that your clothing doesn’t look as good on certain people as it does on others, and so you decide to alter the style or colour of the t-shirts that you sell.
When it comes to selling online, you can use something called variable pricing to make life easier. Variable pricing is when you set a different price for each individual product that you sell. So, instead of having a single price for a t-shirt, you could have a special offer for this product for the first 200 people to buy it, and then you raise the price for the next few hundred units.
The trouble with standard pricing is that if you want to sell different products at the same time, you have to set the same price for all of them. For example, let’s say that you want to promote both the black and the white t-shirts in your store. So you set the price of the black t-shirt to be the same as the white t-shirt. But then you have people who want to buy the white t-shirt but not the black one, and vice versa.
With variable pricing, you can set a different price for each product based on how many copies you actually have in stock. So, if you have 5 units of a product left but 10 units of a different product, the price of the first 5 units of the first product will be discounted and the price of the last 5 units of the second product will be increased. When a customer decides to put in an order, the order will be split into as many parts as you have different products, and each part will have the price adjusted accordingly. The end result is that you get the bonus of having multiple products on your sales page without the hassle of getting all of them set up at the same time.
Let’s say that you want to sell three different products: a black t-shirt with a picture of a dog on it, a white t-shirt with a picture of a cat on it, and a t-shirt in between black and white with a picture of a goat on it. To do this, you will want to create a three-item drop-down menu with the option of each item priced differently. So, if a customer chooses black, the price of the black t-shirt will be set to be the default and the other two options will be discounted. The same goes for the other two options, so that when a customer decides to buy one of them, the other two will be the default choice.
Things To Keep In Mind
Before we start adding products, let’s discuss a few other things that you need to keep in mind:
- Make sure that all prices are consistent across the board. This will prevent any errors when processing the order. When you take into consideration the fact that you will be adjusting the prices of three products based on the selection that the customer makes, it’s crucial that all of the prices are accurate. Otherwise, you could end up with an invoice that’s way off base.
- As we discussed above, if you decide to adjust the price of a product based on what the customer selects, you need to make sure that all of the products cost the same as the one that contains the default price. If this is not the case, you will have overage charges.
- Make sure that all products have an active link to the product’s page on your website. When a customer is on a product’s page, they are more likely to make a purchase than if they are looking at an image of the product without any text.
- Make sure that the products which you add will fit within the overall theme and branding of your store. You don’t want to add a product that will clash with what your customers might expect given the type of store that you run. You should also try to make sure that the products which you add will help to expand your customer base. For example, if you sell hats, and you realise that some of your customers like to dress in Viking costumes, you might want to consider adding a Viking hat to your inventory. But, before you do that, you should make sure that you can pull off the costume style yourself. If you can’t, you might find that some of your customers have a hard time trusting you with their precious heads!
- Make sure that all products which you add have high quality images. This will improve the overall aesthetics of your store. If a customer is presented with poor-quality images of a product, they are less likely to be convinced to buy it simply because the product looks cool.
Now that we’ve discussed some of the basics, let’s get down to adding products to the page.
Adding A Product To The Order Form
In the previous section, we discussed how vital it is to set the prices of all three products correctly, and we also discussed a few other things that you need to keep in mind while adding products to the order form. Let’s now take a look at how to add a product to the order form. As we discussed above, when a customer makes an order, the order will be split into multiple parts. Each part will have the price adjusted accordingly. So, to add a product to the order form, you will want to start by adding a drop-down menu with three options:
- The default option (usually the cheapest one)
- The second choice
- The third choice
As you can see above, once you add this drop-down menu, you will have three more that you can add within the same form.
To add the first product, just click on the plus symbol that’s next to the input box, and then type in the name of the product and its SKU (stock keeping unit). Hit enter once you’ve entered the information, and then click on the grey icon titled ‘Add product’.
To add the second product, just click on the plus symbol that’s next to the input box, and then type in the name of the product and its SKU (stock keeping unit). Hit enter once you’ve entered the information, and then click on the grey icon titled ‘Add product’.
To add the third product, just click on the plus symbol that’s next to the input box, and then type in the name of the product and its SKU (stock keeping unit). Hit enter once you’ve entered the information, and then click on the grey icon titled ‘Add product’.
Adjusting The Prices Of The Added Products
Once you’ve added all of the products to the order form, you will notice that the prices of all three of them are set to the default price. The good thing is that now when a customer makes an order, the order will have the correct price for all three products. The bad thing is that you’ll have to manually go in and change the prices of the other two products because you cannot change the price of the default product once it’s been set. To adjust the prices of the other two products, you will want to go back to the ‘Edit store’ page, and then scroll all the way to the bottom. You will see a section titled ‘Product prices’.
From here, you will want to change the prices of the other two products by entering either a specific price or selecting ‘On sale’ from the drop-down menu. For example, let’s say that you want to change the price of the white t-shirt from its default price to $15. To do this, you will want to click on the ‘white t-shirt’ under ‘Product categories’ and then change the price to $15. Hit enter when you’re done, and then click on ‘Save changes’.
Once you’ve done this, you will be returned to the ‘Edit store’ page, but this time you will notice that the price of the white t-shirt has changed to $15. To change the price of the black t-shirt, repeat the same process, but this time click on the ‘black t-shirt’, and then change the price to $17. Hit enter when you’re done, and then click on ‘Save changes’.